About Me

My photo
My life as a multimedia artist, poet and creative writing instructor has brought me to a deep awareness of nature's importance in my life. Beginning each day with a walk in a wildlife sanctuary keeps me healthy and spiritually centered. I look forward to sharing my experience with others through my blog, Quiet Waters.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Stillness

A hush hung over the park green this morning. 
Everything was coated in a thin layer of winter frost, and the cold was deep.
 From a far off tree, I heard the hollow echo of a woodpecker rapping against frigid tree bark, but no bird voices could be heard. 
It was as though all things were tucked away in their winter resting places....squirrels, deer, geese, hawks and other residents of the pond and woodland, asleep. 
Creatures seem to know when to be active and when to rest. 
When the time is right, they will begin coming out again, but for now, inactivity is the rule of winter. 
We humans would also do well to gage more of our activities by the seasons. 
Surely there would be fewer colds and aches were we to snuggle down under our blankets for a few extra hours and avoid rushing ourselves into exhaustion! 
Let's think over our winter routines. 
Where, in the gift of this day, can we give ourselves a bit more winter down time?
 I don't mean couch potato time! 
Rather, relaxing, renewing, peaceful winter rest.